Our live stream from St James’ Church building from 11am Sunday…
Watch later or browse other past live streams by clicking here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC82Y1tUmIGhFlSJYYgX3mmQ
You can use some of these in Growth Groups or alone:
Read through Matthew 5:27-37
Jesus once again ‘raises the bar’ of standards from the Old Testament law – from adultery to lust, as he does from murder to anger.
- Where do you think Jesus would say the line is between being tempted and giving in to temptation?
- What practical steps can we take to avoid giving in to temptation?
- How should we respond to others and to God when we do give in to temptation ourselves?
- How should we respond when we see others give in to temptation?
There is some difficult teaching here on divorce and remarriage – which is complex and very sensitive for a lot of people, so if you decide to discuss this together, please be very conscious of this and think of others.
- How do you think we should apply this teaching in today’s context – especially in the light of the whole of Scripture?
- What moral standards do you find most confusing or difficult to explain in Jesus’ teaching and why?
- How should we respond to people who feel they have failed to live up to Jesus’ standards?
You might also want to revisit some of last week’s questions and apply them to this week’s passage.
What can I pray for?
This week, we are asking everyone to take some time each day to pray for our church. From Monday, we will be sending out daily emails to help you pray.
- Pray for one of our Mission Partners, The Message Trust – particularly their work in prisons which you can find a bit about at https://www.message.org.uk/prisons-and-enterprise/
- Pray for our local MP and all those involved in national government
- Give thanks to God for the good things restarting in our church at the moment – Wednesday morning services, Messy Church, 6:30 Kids, Roots, the Cafes etc
If you’d like to keep in touch, need some practical help, a prayer, or would like to explore faith a bit more… then just let us know via our Contact Page. We’d love to hear from you.
You can join us in our buildings – if you would like to. More details here
Join us after the service for Zoom Coffee & Chat after the live stream – from 11:45am – 12.15pm. Click Here to join or join Zoom Meeting: 856 8151 5317 Passcode: 375804
Join us to Pray for our church, community and the world on Sundays at 5:45- 6:30pm via Zoom.
Zoom Meeting ID: 846 9100 8512 Password: 316
If you’d like to join a Growth Group, to get to know other people and explore life and faith together, then let us know here.
How do I follow the Service?
EITHER: Click on the service above
OR: (on a TV or device): 1: Open the YouTube app; 2: Search for St James & St Lukes Church. 3: Subscribe. 4: Click on the Live Stream (or Playlists for previous week’s services). 5: Once you’ve subscribed, you should be able to find each week’s playlist quickly.