Our live stream from St James’ Church building from 11am Sunday…
Watch later or browse other past live streams by clicking here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC82Y1tUmIGhFlSJYYgX3mmQ
This week, we are mourning the death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and praying for King Charles III. We will include a time of reflection at all our services today.
In 2002, The Queen said: ‘I draw strength from the message of hope in the Christian gospel’. Today, we will also continuing our series ‘Jesus, the Last, the Least and the Lost’, based on readings from Luke’s Gospel.
Thanksgiving and Remembrance
Questions relating to the events of this week:
- How do you feel about the death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II?
- In what ways has she set a good example of service to God and to others?
- How do you think that her faith in Jesus has shaped her life?
- What do you think she will be remembered for?
- How would you like to be remembered?
Questions from today’s speaker. You can use some of these in Growth Groups or alone:
Read through Luke 4:1-13
Imagine you were living at the time of this reading and you heard about John the Baptist baptising…
Questions Luke 4:1-13
- Can you think of moments in your life when it would be beneficial to spend some time quietly reflecting before launching into something new?
- What personal needs or desires are you tempted to put above feeding on God’s Word and listening for God’s will?
- Where might you be tempted to give in to the devil’s temptation of an ‘easy’ life rather than patiently trusting and obeying God?
- What kind of things do you find yourself doing in order to impress people?
- What steps can you take to submit to God and resist the temptations of the devil?
What can I pray for?
- Pray for our church as we move into a time of change and transition – including for Sandie and the new churchwarden and for the person who isn’t elected.
- Pray for those suffering from the floods in Pakistan. You can find a Tearfund prayer guide here
- Pray for families, children and schools in our local area as a new school year begins.
How to Pray or Read the Bible
It’s good to get into a daily habit of daily prayer and reading the Bible. There are lots of ways to do this. We’ve given some suggestions on this website on ‘How can I pray?’ and ‘How can I read the Bible?’. If you need help, do ask us – we’d love to help!
If you’d like to keep in touch, need some practical help, a prayer, or would like to explore faith a bit more… then just let us know via our Contact Page. We’d love to hear from you.
You can also join us in our buildings – if you would like to. More details here
Join us to Pray for our church, community and the world on Sundays at 5:45- 6:30pm via Zoom.
Zoom Meeting ID: 846 9100 8512 Password: 316
If you’d like to join a Growth Group, to get to know other people and explore life and faith together, then let us know here.
How do I follow the Service?
EITHER: Click on the service above
OR: (on a TV or device): 1: Open the YouTube app; 2: Search for St James & St Lukes Church. 3: Subscribe. 4: Click on the Live Stream (or Playlists for previous week’s services). 5: Once you’ve subscribed, you should be able to find each week’s playlist quickly.