Our live stream from St James’ Church building from 11am Sunday…
Watch later or browse other past live streams by clicking here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC82Y1tUmIGhFlSJYYgX3mmQ
Healthy Habit #7: Fasting
Questions from today’s speaker. You can use some of these in Growth Groups or alone:
Read through Nehemiah 1:1-11
- Consider the quote from John Wesley:
‘Some have exalted religious fasting beyond all Scripture and reason; and others have utterly disregarded it’
What are your thoughts about fasting?
- Do you have any experience of fasting which you can share with others? (positive and negative!)
If not, what has stopped you trying it?
3. If you were to try fasting, what would you hope that the benefits would be – for you, for others?
4. Are you hungry for God?
What can I pray for?
- Try missing a meal this week and spending the time in prayer. You might like to make this a regular habit.
- Pray for our government, our MP and local councillors – that they would fulfil their responsibilities well
- Pray for those you know in our community who are sick, lonely or bereaved.
- Join us one week to pray for our church, community and the world on Sundays at 5:45-6:45pm via Zoom. Zoom Meeting ID: 846 9100 8512 Password: 316
How to Pray or Read the Bible
It’s good to get into a daily habit of daily prayer and reading the Bible. There are lots of ways to do this. We’ve given some suggestions on this website on ‘How can I pray?’ and ‘How can I read the Bible?’. If you need help, do ask us – we’d love to help!
How to Give to the Church
It’s also good to adopt a habit of regular giving to the chruch. If you would like to give money to the church – as a one-off gift or on a regular basis – then follow this link. Sorry that some of the information is out of date (pre-pandemic), but the form is still valid.
Recommended Reading for this Series
There are plenty of good books on ‘Healthy Habits’ (or Spiritual Disciplines). Here are a few:
- The Life You’ve Always Wanted – by John Ortberg
- Holy Habits – by Andrew Roberts
- Celebration of Discipline – Richard Foster (an old classic)
If you’d like to keep in touch, need some practical help, a prayer, or would like to explore faith a bit more… then just let us know via our Contact Page. We’d love to hear from you.
You can also join us in our buildings – if you would like to. More details here
Join us to Pray for our church, community and the world on Sundays at 5:45- 6:30pm via Zoom.
Zoom Meeting ID: 846 9100 8512 Password: 316
If you’d like to join a Growth Group, to get to know other people and explore life and faith together, then let us know here.
How do I follow the Service?
EITHER: Click on the service above
OR: (on a TV or device): 1: Open the YouTube app; 2: Search for St James & St Lukes Church. 3: Subscribe. 4: Click on the Live Stream (or Playlists for previous week’s services). 5: Once you’ve subscribed, you should be able to find each week’s playlist quickly.