Our live stream from St James’ Church building from 11am Sunday…
Watch later or browse other past live streams by clicking here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC82Y1tUmIGhFlSJYYgX3mmQ
Healthy Habit #5: Listening
Questions from today’s speaker. You can use some of these in Growth Groups or alone:
Read through Acts 16:1-10
- Think back through your life. Have there been particular times when you have felt that God guided you? If so…
- How did you respond?
- How did you feel?
- What was the effect on you and on others?
- As Paul and his companions travel, God says ‘No’ to them twice (verses 6-8). How might he have done this? How do you think they felt arriving in Troas?
- If you were one of Paul’s companions, how would you have felt when Paul shared his dream? What would you have done?
- How many different ways can you think that God guides people? Which do you find it easiest to respond to?
- How do you think your life might be different if you made a habit of spending more time listening to God? What practical step could you take to grow in this area?
- Re-read today’s Bible passage. Now ask God to speak to you. Spend 5 minutes in silence listening for God. Write down anything that you think he brings to mind.
How to Pray or Read the Bible
It’s good to get into a daily habit of daily prayer and reading the Bible. There are lots of ways to do this. We’ve given some suggestions on this website on ‘How can I pray?’ and ‘How can I read the Bible?’. If you need help, do ask us – we’d love to help!
How to Give to the Church
It’s also good to adopt a habit of regular giving to the chruch. If you would like to give money to the church – as a one-off gift or on a regular basis – then follow this link. Sorry that some of the information is out of date (pre-pandemic), but the form is still valid.
Recommended Reading for this Series
There are plenty of good books on ‘Healthy Habits’ (or Spiritual Disciplines). Here are a few:
- The Life You’ve Always Wanted – by John Ortberg
- Holy Habits – by Andrew Roberts
- Celebration of Discipline – Richard Foster (an old classic)
What can I pray for?
- Try using the Prayer of Examen here at the end of the day – you might like to adopt this as a habit
- Pray for our local schools – especially St James’ & St Luke’s Schools – for the children and staff as well as the governors (of which we need more!)
- Join us one week to pray for our church, community and the world on Sundays at 5:45-6:45pm via Zoom. Zoom Meeting ID: 846 9100 8512 Password: 316
If you’d like to keep in touch, need some practical help, a prayer, or would like to explore faith a bit more… then just let us know via our Contact Page. We’d love to hear from you.
You can also join us in our buildings – if you would like to. More details here
Join us to Pray for our church, community and the world on Sundays at 5:45- 6:30pm via Zoom.
Zoom Meeting ID: 846 9100 8512 Password: 316
If you’d like to join a Growth Group, to get to know other people and explore life and faith together, then let us know here.
How do I follow the Service?
EITHER: Click on the service above
OR: (on a TV or device): 1: Open the YouTube app; 2: Search for St James & St Lukes Church. 3: Subscribe. 4: Click on the Live Stream (or Playlists for previous week’s services). 5: Once you’ve subscribed, you should be able to find each week’s playlist quickly.