This Sunday: Faith in Strange Times
Start by watching this short introduction…
Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name.
Your Kingdom come, your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins,
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power and the glory are yours.
Now and for ever. Amen
Play the song – and sing to God in worship (preferably skipping the ads when you can!) If the box below doesn’t work, try clicking here instead & return to this page after.
Pray like Daniel
Even when he was facing death, Daniel continued to thank God; then he asked for help. (Daniel 6:10-11)
What do you want to thank God for?
What do you want to ask God for?
Here’s what some members of our church said…
It’s also at: https://youtu.be/MRuBolVf4NU
Now it’s your turn!
Say your own short ‘Thank You God…’ prayers out loud;
Then say some ‘Please God…’ prayers.
Finally, take a moment of quiet and say sorry to God for anything you know you’ve done wrong. As we turn back to God, we are forgiven. Then read these words from 1 John 1:8-9:
If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
Thank you God, that when we say sorry and turn back to you, you forgive us. We are forgiven. Amen.
Either: Watch the animated video below from The Friends and Heroes series.
Or: Read Daniel 6:1-23. You can use your Bible or you can find it on YouVersion here * For adults, use the NIVUK version. If you click on the speaker symbol, you can listen to it being read.
Note: If you have a smartphone or tablet, we strongly recommend downloading the Bible App by YouVersion – you can download offline Bibles and other resources – so you’ve always got it with you – and it’s free.
It’s also at: https://youtu.be/pcJexAWb3DY
Pause for a few moments.
Ask God: What do you want me to do in response to what we’ve been thinking about this morning? You could write down or draw your thoughts.
It’s also at: https://youtu.be/Yr5AFEjimto
Questions to Discuss (now and during the week)
- Do you feel more like you’re surviving or thriving at the moment?
- In 5 years time, how would you like to remember this time?
- What can you decide to do to make it memorable for good reasons?
- What encourages you from the story of Daniel?
- What challenges you most from the story of Daniel?
- How can you encourage those who are struggling?
- How do you feel about having a go at a creative response to the story and maybe even sharing it with us?
Now take part in our Sunday Morning Chat on Facebook (starting at 11.20am), which you can find by Clicking here * You could also chat about this with your Growth Group – using whatever communication means you choose. If you’re not part of a group and would like to be, then let us know at the church office here.
* If you can’t get access to the Facebook Group, let us know and we can help set you up for next time. You may need to request it by going to our facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/whitfieldparish and clicking the Visit Group button at the top right of the page.
During the week, you could try some of these…
- The Gallery: Try being creative! Make a picture, take a photo or video, write a poem or a piece of music. Then send it to us. We want to make a gallery of people’s responses to the week’s themes on the website. You don’t need to be brilliant – just original – which will encourage others!
- Keep in touch with your Growth Group – try a group chat on Zoom or phone up. It’s good to both talk about the theme and also to ask how one another are getting on – to care, pray and encourage.
- Start doing daily Bible readings. One way is to use the YouVersion Bible App – which includes series of daily readings. Find it on the Google Play or Apple App Stores. It also gives you loads of Bible versions which you can download onto your phone – so you’ve got them anywhere.
- Try starting the challenge of the ‘A Bible in One Year’ – a whole year of studies through the Bible provided by HTB – makers of the Alpha Course. You can search for it on the Bible App or you can find it’s own app on Google Play or the Apple App Store.
- Watch the an animated version (for adults & older children) of the Daniel story from the excellent Testament series below…
You can also find it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9mwQkI6hnM