Our live stream from St James’ Church building from 11am Sunday…
Watch later or browse other past live streams by clicking here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC82Y1tUmIGhFlSJYYgX3mmQ
Healthy Habit: Transforming
Questions from today’s speaker. You can use some of these in Growth Groups or alone:
Read through Isaiah 58:6-10
- In the first verses of this chapter, God is critical of the people’s worship (specifically fasting) because at the same time they are exploiting workers and quarrelling (verses 3 & 4). In what ways might God be angry with us for acting in a similar way?
- In what practical ways can we answer God’s challenge in verses 7 & 8 …locally? …globally?
- Share any good examples you know
- How could you get involved yourself?
- God seems to show a particular concern for the poor and needy. How do you reconcile this with the gospel being good news for everyone?
- In Luke 4:18-19, Jesus quotes a similar passage from Isaiah 61. What examples can you think of where Jesus showed a particular concern for the poor?
- The people seem to expect God to do what they want because they have ‘humbled themselves’ (verse 3). Do you ever feel that God should do things for you because you’ve done things for him?
What can I pray for?
- Pray for the poor and needy in our local area and globally
- Pray for Grace Kitchen and our partners Tearfund and Open Doors.
- Pray for our church as we plan for an interregnum after Toby leaves at the end of September
How to Pray or Read the Bible
It’s good to get into a daily habit of daily prayer and reading the Bible. There are lots of ways to do this. We’ve given some suggestions on this website on ‘How can I pray?’ and ‘How can I read the Bible?’. If you need help, do ask us – we’d love to help!
Recommended Reading for this Series
There are plenty of good books on ‘Healthy Habits’ (or Spiritual Disciplines). Here are a few:
- The Life You’ve Always Wanted – by John Ortberg
- Holy Habits – by Andrew Roberts
- Celebration of Discipline – Richard Foster (an old classic)
If you’d like to keep in touch, need some practical help, a prayer, or would like to explore faith a bit more… then just let us know via our Contact Page. We’d love to hear from you.
You can also join us in our buildings – if you would like to. More details here
Join us to Pray for our church, community and the world on Sundays at 5:45- 6:30pm via Zoom.
Zoom Meeting ID: 846 9100 8512 Password: 316
If you’d like to join a Growth Group, to get to know other people and explore life and faith together, then let us know here.
How do I follow the Service?
EITHER: Click on the service above
OR: (on a TV or device): 1: Open the YouTube app; 2: Search for St James & St Lukes Church. 3: Subscribe. 4: Click on the Live Stream (or Playlists for previous week’s services). 5: Once you’ve subscribed, you should be able to find each week’s playlist quickly.