Prayer – When and How?
Our live stream from St James’ Church building from 11am Sunday…
Watch later or browse other past live streams by clicking here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC82Y1tUmIGhFlSJYYgX3mmQ
You can use some of these in Growth Groups or alone:
Read through Matthew 6:5-13
- Jesus begins ‘When you pray…’. He obviously expects us to be praying.
Reflect on your pattern of prayer.
Do you have any routines or ideas you could share to encourage one another in regular prayer?
- Jesus describes several ways not to pray.
In what ways might we struggle with some of these negative tendencies:
- Showing off to gain approval of others?
- Praying self-consciously or too conscious of what others think?
- ‘Babbling’ – using lots of words unnecessarily /vain repetition /formulaic phrases?
- Consider prayer as a sharing of conversation with God.
How can we listen to him more, rather than just pouring out an endless list of requests?
- If God knows what we need before we ask him, then why pray?
What can I pray for?
- Pray that as a church we would pray more – as individuals and together.
- Pray for local businesses in our town as they adapt post-pandemic to changing workplace and employment patterns
- With COP26 coming up, pray for world leaders that they would make good decisions for the benefit of current and future generations across the world. You could spend a bit of time finding out more on the Christian Aid website at https://www.christianaid.org.uk/get-involved/campaigns
If you’d like to keep in touch, need some practical help, a prayer, or would like to explore faith a bit more… then just let us know via our Contact Page. We’d love to hear from you.
You can join us in our buildings – if you would like to. More details here
Join us after the service for Zoom Coffee & Chat after the live stream – from 11:45am – 12.15pm. Click Here to join or join Zoom Meeting: 856 8151 5317 Passcode: 375804
Join us to Pray for our church, community and the world on Sundays at 5:45- 6:30pm via Zoom.
Zoom Meeting ID: 846 9100 8512 Password: 316
If you’d like to join a Growth Group, to get to know other people and explore life and faith together, then let us know here.
How do I follow the Service?
EITHER: Click on the service above
OR: (on a TV or device): 1: Open the YouTube app; 2: Search for St James & St Lukes Church. 3: Subscribe. 4: Click on the Live Stream (or Playlists for previous week’s services). 5: Once you’ve subscribed, you should be able to find each week’s playlist quickly.