Our live stream from St James’ Church building from 11am Sunday…
Watch later or browse other past live streams by clicking here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC82Y1tUmIGhFlSJYYgX3mmQ
Questions from today’s speaker. You can use some of these in Growth Groups or alone:
- Imagine a parent buys their child a bag of sweets. The parent then asks the child for some of the sweets, but the child is reluctant.
- How might the parent and the child feel? Why?
- What parallels could there be with our attitude towards God?
- Re-read 1 Chronicles 29:14.
- What attitudes does David have towards his money and possessions?
- If we adopted David’s view of things, how might it affect our use of our money and possessions?
- How do we give to God? The people here gave towards the worship in the temple. Elsewhere we’re encouraged to give to the poor. What guidelines do you think we should use in working out how and what to give?
- Re-read Mark 12:43-44
- Elsewhere in the Bible, giving a tenth is a ‘norm’ (something the Pharisee is proud of in Luke18:12). How does this contrast with Jesus’ example of the widow?
David highlighted what the wealthy gave. Jesus uses a widow as an example. How do Jesus’ comments challenge your view of your giving or the giving of others?
How to Give to the Church
If you would like to give money to the church – as a one-off gift or on a regular basis – then follow this link. Sorry that some of the information is out of date (pre-pandemic), but the form is still valid.
How to Pray or Read the Bible
It’s also good to get into a daily habit of daily prayer and reading the Bible. There are lots of ways to do this. We’ve given some suggestions on this website on ‘How can I pray?’ and ‘How can I read the Bible?’. If you need help, do ask us – we’d love to help!
Recommended Reading for this Series
There are plenty of good books on ‘Healthy Habits’ (or Spiritual Disciplines). Here are a few:
- The Life You’ve Always Wanted – by John Ortberg
- Holy Habits – by Andrew Roberts
- Celebration of Discipline – Richard Foster (an old classic)
What can I pray for?
- It’s Christian Aid week. Find out more about how you can pray and give to their work here
- Give thanks and pray for our youth worker, Samuel, and our work with young people.
- Join us to pray for our church, community and the world on Sundays at 5:45-6:45pm via Zoom. Zoom Meeting ID: 846 9100 8512 Password: 316
If you’d like to keep in touch, need some practical help, a prayer, or would like to explore faith a bit more… then just let us know via our Contact Page. We’d love to hear from you.
You can also join us in our buildings – if you would like to. More details here
Join us to Pray for our church, community and the world on Sundays at 5:45- 6:30pm via Zoom.
Zoom Meeting ID: 846 9100 8512 Password: 316
If you’d like to join a Growth Group, to get to know other people and explore life and faith together, then let us know here.
How do I follow the Service?
EITHER: Click on the service above
OR: (on a TV or device): 1: Open the YouTube app; 2: Search for St James & St Lukes Church. 3: Subscribe. 4: Click on the Live Stream (or Playlists for previous week’s services). 5: Once you’ve subscribed, you should be able to find each week’s playlist quickly.